Acorn News Service Newsletter
Issue: 134 (15 June 2003)
Featured site this issue: http://www.bigbenclub.nl/shows/2003/
RISCOS Expo 2003
The Big Ben Club, the nationwide Dutch Acorn User Group, presents its
yearly show: the RISCOS Expo 2003.
Show date: Saturday, 21st June 2003
Venue: Expohall, Hotel Mercure, Buizerdlaan 10, Nieuwegein
(near the city of Utrecht)
From: 10.00am to 5.00pm
Admission: members free, non-members EUR7
There will be presentations by Castle Technology, MicroDigital, and
RISCOS Ltd. Further details, including a list of exhibitors, are available
New mailing lists
Castle Technology news
- IYONIX pc Software Database updated
This database lists all of the software that is known to be 32-bit and
IYONIX pc compatible and is updated directly by third party software
- New Canon BJ Printer Driver
A new Printer Definition File for the USB Canon BJ i450 printer is now
- USB Mass Storage Devices for the IYONIX pc
Using the plug & play features and fast data transfer protocols of USB,
Castle have added access to the following USB mass data storage devices:
* USB hard drives in native RISC OS "FileCore" and PC "FAT xx" formats
* USB flash devices (keyrings, memory cards, card readers etc)
* USB digital cameras
* USB removable cartridge drives (Zip etc)
* USB digital audio ('MP3') players
RISC OS users should ensure that any device conforms to one the
following non-vendor specific USB mass storage classes: 08 06 00,
08 06 01, 08 06 80.
TransCalc desktop calculator now 32 bit compatible
TransCalc is a very powerful desktop calculator. Features include:
* arithmetic operations with a numeric range up to 10^4800
* binary and logical operations with up to 64 bit
* accuracy up to 18 digits
* statistical operations: sum, average, deviation, max./min.-value
* four number systems: decimal, hexadecimal, binary, sexagesimal
* exchange data between programs via drag & drop or clipboard
* formula mode for calculations with variables
* now supports 32bit machines
TransCalc costs EUR29 (including VAT, plus P&P) and is available from
Feldner & Braun Software GdbR <http://www.flying-snail.de/transcalc/>.
A limited free demo is available for download.
Soft Rock Software's prices now include VAT
All of Soft Rock Software's prices now include an element of VAT. However,
there will be no price increases as a direct result of this - the existing
prices will be VAT inclusive, rather than have the VAT added.
New software summary
- RISC OS driver for HP Deskjet 6122
The driver provides settings to allow either full colour or grey scale
printing at both 300 and 600dpi. Specific settings are provided for a
variety of media types and print qualities.
- SpamStamp, bayesian spam filter
Attempts to detect if a mail is spam or not using bayesian filtering
techniques <http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html>. This means that you
do not need to set up all kinds of rules, the system figures it out by
itself because every time it makes a mistake you tell it that it took
a wrong decision.
- TME NetManager, Acorn Access Tools
Designed to facilitate the deployment of an Acorn Access peer-to-peer
network. One machine is dedicated as a Master Sharer, holding resources
for several clients. Clients can be RISC OS 3.1 or better, Master needs
3.6 or 3.7. Later versions might work, but are untested to any great
Updated software summary
- Account2 v1.25c
A freeware home accounts application. It includes many features that are
normally found only in commercial packages, including sub-account
facilities, categories and sub-categories, unlimited number of
transactions, report creation and budgeting, export and import to
various CSV and QIF formats and much more.
- AntiSpam v1.10
Freeware anti-spam tool. Tenth update since its first release only a few
weeks ago, in response to user feedback.
- Director v0.36 beta
Latest beta release of Director, the general purpose desktop utility.
- Quaker v1.3
This program accompanies the earthquake detector interface project. You
can now record five minutes worth of output and save it to disc
automatically. 20 minutes worth of sample output is included so you
can see what it looks like without building the project.
- ROX-Filer v2.0.0
A small, fast, powerful filer for Unix, Linux and compatible systems.
Its user interface is based on the RISC OS filer, and it supports
similar concepts, such as application directories, drag-and-drop saving
and popup menus. Major changes, including better font system.
- ROUGOL (London), 16th June - informal meeting (networking cancelled)
- HHRUG (Hemel Hempstead), 18th June
- RISC OS Expo 2003 (Netherlands), 21st June
- BARUG (Bristol), 25th June
- ICENI (Suffolk), 2nd July
- WROCC (Wakefield), 2nd July - Virtual RISC OS machines
- EAUG (Essex), 8th July - "Solar Eclipses" with Tony Lister
- NKACC (Kent), 10th July - Open evening
- DARC (Derbyshire), 14th July - Barry Thompson: Xara X
- SAUG (Southampton), 14th July
How to send in news
To send in your news items simply e-mail <firstname.lastname@example.org>, or use the
form on the ANS website <http://www.acornusers.org/ans/newsdesk.html>.
Also if you have an Acorn related announcements mailing list, feel free
to subscribe <email@example.com>.
How to subscribe to ANS
If you are reading this on the ANS web site, or have received a forwarded
copy of ANS and would like to subscribe to the mailing list, simply send
any e-mail to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Alternatively use the form
on the ANS web site at <http://www.acornusers.org/ans/subscribe.html>.
For details of other commands e-mail <email@example.com>.